This project is read-only.

Improve the application. Mdownloader.

Jan 2, 2010 at 6:31 AM

Hi all,

Am a regular user of the above said Application.

Been observing that almost every alternative day there is a beta version available.

My sincere request is to provide the update function in the application itself, so that it will be checking for the updates on its own without disturbing the user/s.

I personally feel that if that function added... Mdownloader will be the number 1 in this category..

Thanks for reading this...

Coordinator
Jan 2, 2010 at 4:31 PM

You mean you want MDownloader to check if new version is available, download it and install it? Currently application checks if new version is available.

Jan 4, 2010 at 5:44 AM

Yes you are right....

I agree that the application checks for new version....

but. it was asking me to download from the website, after accepting the eula....

it may be a good idea, if the eula and the latest version will be downloaded on to the user machine and update to the new version, only when the user accepts the eula....

Hope am clear..

Jan 6, 2010 at 6:08 AM

Hi adma,

Another interesting thing is....

after installing the new (latest) version.... we can find 2 instances of Mdownloader in application wizard.  I mean we can see both old version and new version.

Another thing is ..... there is no support link and version no. in the application wizard

May be we can change the code in such a way it should uninstall the old version first and install the new version with version no.

So that the end user can satisfy himself that he/she is having the latest version.

Hope I am clear..

Coordinator
Jan 6, 2010 at 10:17 AM

I changed the way of generating msi from microsoft solution to wix. But I tested it and it seemed to work properly (uninstall previous version) if I installed only versions downloaded from CodePlex. I have noticed if I download and install version from TeamCity CI (which differs only at build number) I have multiple entries in "Program and Features" (I am not sure what you mean writing "application wizard"). Do you download fresh builds from TeamCity server?

Jan 31, 2010 at 11:51 PM

Hi,

I should mention some possible improvements:

1) Program MDownloader takes on MS Win XP much CPU time and memory. Try find why and make some improvements. Now, I run MDownloader in priority lower then normal, it works.

2) Automatic recognition of captcha works often problematically. I propose option to switch automatic captcha recognition off and use only human recognition. If possible, individually for various providers.

3) When program needs user intervention - e.g. for captcha - generate some sound (like SystemSounds.Asterisk.Play(); ). The best with possibility of switching the function off.

4) For provider Letitbit the captcha consist of hexa listing of 3 byte number, ie. consists only from 6 digits and small letters a-f. Yout captcha recognition returns strings containing other letters. Test the recognised captcha for possile characters and pass to provider the correct results only.

Program MDownloader is useful tool, but if you improve its properties, it would be better. Thank you for your good work.

Coordinator
Feb 1, 2010 at 6:48 AM

Added all to issue tracker.

1. Could you write how did you use it: how many items do you have queued, how many items are in downloading state?