Proxies?

Oct 3, 2009 at 10:01 PM

I'm a big fan of whatever program Adma develops - my first proggie was Google Book Downloader.  Now MDownloader is running more often than GBD.  Too cool.

I'm wondering about porting part of GBD over to MDownloader - that is, the abillity to use proxies to download more than one file at a time, or perhaps to speed up some of the downloads (though I doubt rapidshare and all those services allow downloading just parts of files, so the speeding-up effect probably wouldn't be possible).  This might also get around the problem of daily IP download limits (until the proxies get too swamped of course).  The other problem is that, once someone is using one proxy, noone else will be able to.  Still, something to think about.  Perhaps MDownloader could probe a bunch of proxies until it found one that wasn't being used.  Another option would be for MDownloader to check a central DB where the proxies are "checked out", but that puts a central DB at risk of attack and blockage.  Perhaps there are other ways around that.

Thanks again, Adma!

Coordinator
Nov 10, 2009 at 9:08 AM

Added issue to work item, and implemented first draft of idea.